To say 2020 has been an atypical year is a blatant understatement. A global pandemic, riots, floods, earthquakes, fires, crashes, murder hornets…we’ve had our fair share this year. The global effects are devastating and will linger long past the end of the year, requiring plenty of time for us to recover both mentally and financially. So, why would someone decide to launch their book amidst all the turmoil?
Why the heck not, is what I say!
Literature, films, and other types of media have a vital role in helping us maintain our sanity when the going gets tough. It provides us with an escape, an outlet, a distraction from reality to help us recover from the stressful events occurring in our daily lives. These outlets are needed now more than ever, which is why I decided to release the third book in the Father of Contention series, titled Sea of Forgetfulness. This part in the series continues to follow Ang and Anthony’s journey as they become unexpected adoptive parents to Dani, a child with the potential to develop supernatural abilities. At the age of thirteen, Dani’s powers manifest after she is in a horrific car accident. When her parents refuse to talk to her about her origins, she runs away in search of answers from her estranged mutant brothers, who wish to use her for their own malicious plans.
I’ve released two books previously, and so the book launch process should be rather old hat for me at this point. However, with the unpredictability of 2020, COVID-19, crowd restrictions and social distancing as we head into our second wave of the virus, the challenge becomes…how does one launch a book in 2020? There will be no public book launch party. No book signings. No ThunderCon or other conventions, no Christmas markets or fairs to rent a table and display my literature wares. What’s an author to do?
Luckily, we have brilliant people going out of their way to ensure the world keeps going around. Various organizations have adapted to the current situation, and are going virtual! Through their help, I have developed the following marketing plan to launch my book 2020-style!
My Book Launch Plan:
- Book Blitz and Virtual Book Tour – Although these have existed pre-pandemic, they are an enjoyable, stress-free and effective way to share your book with the world. This is my third time using RABT Book Tours & PR to set up my virtual tour…they just make everything feel so effortless. A book blitz is where your book is showcased by up to thirty blogs in a single-day blast, exposing you to thousands of new potential readers. A virtual blog tour is a tad more involved, where your book is featured each day on a different blog for 2 or 4 weeks, and may include interviews, excerpts from your book, writing a guest post, book reviews and spotlights. You can include a giveaway, as well. My book blitz is scheduled for Monday, October 5th and the Virtual Book Tour will run from October 26th to November 6th, 2020. Check my events page for links to these events!
- Literary Contests – Entering literary contests is a great way to get your book’s name out there, especially if you win or even if you place as a runner up. Most contests offer a review of your book posted on their site, giving you fantastic exposure, and there is even the chance of garnering the attention of an agent or traditional publishing company…now, wouldn’t that be nice! I have one contest I am currently entering, with fingers crossed!
- Virtual Christmas Market – The Craft Revival will be online this year in the first ever Virtual Holiday 2020 Craft Revival! They have arranged to have all the participating local artisans, including yours truly, to have their wares available online, and curbside pickup will be provided for the local residents who purchase from the market. This way, you can still get lovely, unique Christmas gifts without all those nasty COVID-19 germs! The Christmas market runs on November 29th, 2020 from 10am – 5pm.
- A Giveaway – I have an Instagram Giveaway slated for early December! It’s my first ever, so I selected several choice goodies for you to win simply by following my page, liking, saving, or sharing my Giveaway post, and tagging a few friends to join in on the fun! Goodies include: a signed paperback copy of Sea of Forgetfulness, an Indigo writing journal and pen, a motivational bookmark, a portable wine tumbler, and a $30 gift card to Amazon. Total value is over $100, so you won’t want to miss out on this contest!
- Social Media – This is still one of the most cost effective and efficient methods to market your book, so I’m planning on making the most of it while we remain stuck inside with plenty of extra time to surf the web. I’ve been spending most of my time on Instagram…it’s the easiest platform for me to use…but in the meantime, I’ve been neglecting my other accounts. Well, no longer! Get ready to see regular posts on Facebook, Goodreads, Twitter and even Pinterest, so check out my sites for new content. All my social media links are on the main page of this website!
There you have it! If you’re an author, and were wary of launching your own book during these hectic times, hopefully this gives you viable options to help sway your mind. We’re going to need something to read while we’re self-isolating!
So, as we stroll into the last quarter of 2020, let’s do so with our heads held high, optimistic that there are better times ahead. And regardless of what the future brings, at least we know that we have books, movies, television shows, the internet and other media to keep us occupied, entertained and sane!
Stay safe, and don’t forget to keep reading!
💋 Lanie Mores